Monday 21 May 2012

WALE APPLAUSE - MY LOVE LETTER TO NOLLYWOOD

Where indeed is NOLLYWOOD? Even if I haven’t been there yet, almost everyone knows there is a HOLLYWOOD somewhere in America. I wonder what, who and where people call Nollywood in Nigeria. If Nollywood is the Nigeria movie industry, can someone tell me where it is situated. I once promised myself not to do this, but now I guess I had to break it after seeing movies like Slum dog Millionaire by Bollyword and the harry Porter series by Hollywood, after all these are other versions of ‘wood’.

I mean no harm with this short letter, but I also need to be clarified on what Nollywood does? I guess Movie censoring and screening are not parts of the functions, this is obvious from the kind of movies we see on African Magic on DSTV.

Slumdog Millionaire, an Indian movie successfully made it to the Oscars, winning several accolades, which ever since has been a breakthrough for Bollywood, India and her economy.

For how long do we have to wait for our breakthrough movie, yet most our actors and actresses claim to have gone to Hollywood. What for? Sightseeing I guess!

Knowing that we in the 21st century will our movies ever be medium of foreign exchange? This is a question that the veteran actors and actresses should ponder upon, but they rather exchange words and blows all in the name to be the King of an ‘unestablished’ Kingdom.

The big question is can Nollywood movies ever make it to the Oscars?

If there’s anything like Nollywood, the gospel is stop thinking about the quantity, can someone start talking quality please …

Thanks.

Yours faithfully,

Wale Applause

@waleapplause01,

applauseafricamedia30@gmail.com,

The Music factory,

Nigeria Entertainment Industry.


1 comment:

  1. Wooooh, that's uhmnn, well a thrashing.
    kunle afolayan & Tunde kelani are maestros anyway. But ar they nolly folks?

    ReplyDelete